This new mobile-only ad type is intended basically to retails and e-commerce websites owners with product catalog uploaded to Facebook.
Actually, it is a great update for this kind of businesses, as described by Facebook it increases the likelihood of discovery and a purchase, it combines both benefits of Carousel and Canvas Ad formats and these are some points explaining why every retail or e-commerce website advertisers should use it:
– It allows advertisers to pair an image or video and showcasing 4 related products in one single Ad;
– Immersive shopping experience allowing advertisers to showcase up to 50 products in full screen without leaving the Facebook App;
– Fast loading and full screen;
– It links to your website or mobile app.
When to use the Collection Ads?
The ability for advertisers to pair a video or still image within the Facebook mobile News Feed, showcase related products, and allow customers to open up to a full-screen, fast-loading shopping experience, in one single Ad, is something that most advertisers need to consider. This Ad format moves people quickly from consideration phase to conversion. You can use this Ad format to showcase specific product categories (product sets) for an up-sell or cross-sell. Show a video promoting a product and in the same Ad people can purchase it. Showing a tutorial of a product and make it purchasable…etc. Be Creative!
Requirements for running collection Ads:
– Campaign objective must be Traffic or Conversion objectives;
– You have already uploaded a product catalog to Facebook;
– Only available for Mobile News Feed,
– You need an image, slideshow or video, to show with the relevant products and these are the design recommendations from Facebook :
- Image Size: 1,200 x 628 pixels recommended
- Image Ratio: 1.9:1
- Headline: 25 characters recommended
- Video: H.264 video compression, high profile preferred, square pixels, fixed frame rate, progressive scan
- Audio: Stereo AAC audio compression, 128kbps + preferred
- Headline: 25 characters recommended
- Video Aspect Ratio: 16:9 or 1:1
- Vertical video (2:3) are not recommended
- Length: 120 minutes max
- Thumbnail image ratio: Should match the aspect ratio of the video.
- Minimum resolution: 600 x 315 pixels (1.9:1 landscape) / 600 x 600 pixels (square)
- File size: up to 4GB
- Frames: 30fps max
How to create Facebook Collection Ads?
As I mentioned, in order to create an Ad using using Collection Ad format you need to upload a product catalog. If you don’t know how to do it please let me know in comment section and I will show you how to do it:
-From Power editor or Ads Manager, create a campaign using Traffic (Clicks to website) or conversion objectives.
– At the Ad set level, adjust parameters (audience, budget, and schedule) as needed, Facebook collection Ads can only run on Facebook mobile news feed, so you can set the placement at this level if you want, for me I will do it at the Ad lever.
When writing this blog post I noticed that Facebook has slightly changed the estimated reach gauge by replacing the yellow color by blue.
At the Ad level choose the new Collection Ad format
– Choose the image or the video you want to use. Choose an image or video that it is related to your headline, text, brand and products. Facebook likes videos, they say that an Ad with a video catches the attention 5x more than a still. So you may consider short videos or Gifs that are related to your products.
Then choose the product feed or set you want to showcase products from
If you didn’t select the Facebook mobile news feed the Ad set level, this message will appear, select remove placements
Now, you can see the preview of your Ad, you can change the related products by clicking change
From your product catalog, choose the products you want to showcase. Unlike the Carousel Ad Format where you can automatically show the best performing cards automatically, here you need to choose the order manually.
Confirm and you are good to go.
This is a great Ad format, but returning to basics if your targeting is not there, budget too small, underbidding, product is broken or poor customer website then your results will be tragic even if you use this powerful Ad format.
Share this Post